In Ilonggo we call this fish Salmonete and also called the same in Spanish. It is known as Striped Red Mullet or Red Mullet in English.
- 2 lbs. salmonete
- 1 cup vinegar
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, sliced thin (I like lots of garlic)
- 1 thumb size ginger, sliced thin
- 1-2 finger chili or siling haba
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoon cooking oil
- Clean fish and pat dry. Arrange fish in a deep pan and top with ginger, garlic, salt, ground pepper, finger chili and vinegar.
- Simmer in medium heat uncovered for about 10 minutes or until vinegar/soup is almost dry.
- Once vinegar is almost gone, add cooking oil and simmer for few minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and serve hot with steam rice. Enjoy.
Stripped Red Mullet photo from Google