There are many ways you can make this but here is a simple version for everyone to enjoy. See related glutinous rice flour recipes below.
- 4 cups coconut milk (use Chaokoh brand if available)
- 1 cup water (or more if needed)
- 3/4 cup sugar (more or less if needed)
- 1 pc. plantain banana or saba, small cubed
- 1 medium size sweet kamote, small cubed
- 1 kamoteng kahoy (cassava) (around 1 cup), small cubed
- 1 cup young coconut strips
- 1 cup cooked colored sago
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Mix 1/2 cup cold water with the glutinous rice flour. Mix well and form into small balls. Set aside.
- Using a big pot, bring coconut milk and 1 cup of water into a boil. Add sugar and stir well.
- Once it starts to boil reduce heat to medium and start adding kamoteng kahoy, kamote and banana. Cook for few minutes or till half cooked.
- Add bilo bilo one by one and stir slowly to avoid the bilo bilo from sticking together.
- When bilo bilo starts to float add young coconut strips. Simmer for 3-5 minutes in low heat. (this is the time when you might need to add a cup or more hot water. Bilo Bilo is made of glutinous rice and it thickens the coconut milk. Remember, some do like it thick so it is really up to you.)
- Add cooked sago, stir well and simmer for few more minutes.
- Remove pot from heat. Stir well and serve hot. Enjoy!