Dulong also known as Silver fish is a very tiny fish yet very tasty. You can find this fresh from Philippine wet markets or packed frozen in local Asian grocery store all over the US.
Filipinos loves fish cooked in vinegar or what we known as Paksiw. What is special about this recipe is the fish is wrapped in banana leaves and steamed leaves which gives it extra flavor.
- 1 lb. frozen silver fish, defrosted and drained
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 thumb size ginger, sliced thin
- 1 piece jalopeno (optional), sliced thin
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- banana leaves (wilted)
- green onion
- Mix vinegar, garlic, onion, jalopeno, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add silver fish and mix then set aside.
- Place wilted banana leaves in a flat surface. Place the fish vinegar mixture, top with slices of green onion. Fold leaves and wrap tight.
- Boil water in a steamer. Once water starts to boil, place wrapped silver fish and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or till fish is fully cooked.
- Remove cooked fish from the steamer, place in a serving plate and serve hot. Enjoy.