Bistek Tagalog also know as Filipino Beef Steak or Karne Frita in Ilonggo.
- 2 lbs. lean beef, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup lemon or kalamansi juice
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 large potato, sliced thin
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- In a bowl, mix soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper. Taste test for desired salt and sour taste. Add more sugar or salt if needed.
- Add beef to the mixture. Refrigerate and marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat pan and add cooking oil. Fry potatoes till golden brown on both side. Remove and set aside.
- Using the same pan, quick fry onion slices. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Remove beef from the marinade and drain. Set aside remaining marinade.
- Using the same pan fry marinated beef till golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Pour remaining marinade to the pan and simmer in low heat for few minutes or till thickens.
- Once sauce starts to thicken, add browned beef, stir and simmer for few minutes and remove from heat.
- Place in a serving dish and top with fried potatoes and onion. Serve and enjoy.
RELATED (click name to see complete recipe)