- 2 lbs. whole chicken leg, cut into bite size
- 1 -15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice (optional)
- 1 medium size potato, quartered
- 1 medium size carrot, julienne
- 1 small red bell pepper, julienne
- 1 small green bell pepper, julienne
- 1 cup cooked green peas or garbanzos
- 4-5 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 3-4 pcs. bay leaf
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (or any kind), optional
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup water
- Heat cooking oil in a wok or a deep pot. Sauté garlic and onion till caramelized.
- Add chicken and sauté in medium heat till chicken turns golden brown for about 5 minutes.
- Season with ground pepper and fish sauce. Cover and simmer for few minutes or till fish sauce evaporates.
- Add bay leaves, water, pineapple juice and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or till chicken is tender in medium low heat.
- Season with sugar and salt if needed then add carrots then potatoes after few minutes. Let it simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and green peas. Allow to cook for few minutes.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese, stir well and remove wok from heat.
Remove wok from heat, transfer in a serving dish and serve. Some do like fish sauce on the side. Enjoy!
With this recipe I added pineapple juice because I light tangy flavor. I also added grated cheese for extra flavor. It really made a difference, the dish turned out really good. Oh yeah, I skipped on the green peas intentionally. Hubby thinks peas are bad for his gout.