Arroz Valenciana Recipe




Arroz Valenciana, is a special rice dish and the Filipino version of Paella. A perfect dish for the family during the holiday season. 


This Arroz Valenciana recipe is a must try. Great for any special occasion, holidays or just because you want to cook something special for the family. Give it a try and let me know.

 



Ingredients:
  • 1 lb Sticky (malagkit) rice, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 lb pork, cut into bite size
  • 1/2 lb chicken, sliced
  • 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled
  • 4 chorizo bilbao (Chinese sausage), sliced
  • 1 large potato, sliced
  • 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
  • 1/2 cup green peas (guisantes)
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1 large onion, sliced thin
  • 6 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 dozen quail egg, (or hard boiled eggs) boil and peeled
  • salt to taste
  • 1 tablespoon turmeric
  • 3 cups of water or chicken broth (add more if needed)
  • 1 can (530 ml) pineapple juice
  • 1/4 cup cooking oil
  • green onion for garnishing
  • banana leaves (optional)






Cooking Direction:

1. Heat wok and add cooking oil. Saute onions and garlic until aromatic. Add pork slices and cook for few minutes until brown. Add chicken and liver. Stir and cook for a minute. Add liver and Chinese sausage. Cook for a minute. Add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Stir well to combine. Add washed rice and stir to combine. Cook for few minutes while stirring occasionally. 

2. Pour in water and pineapple juice. Stir, cover with banana leaves and lid. Simmer for 10 minutes over low heat while stirring in between. Once rice is almost done, add carrots, potato and toss to combine. Add more water if needed. Cover and continue to simmer until rice and vegetable are fully cooked and dry. 

3. Add green peas, raisins, bell peppers and quail eggs. Toss to mix well. Cover and continue to simmer until all vegetable are cooked. Stir occasionally. 

4. Garnish with chopped green onions (and hard boiled eggs if not using quail eggs) and serve hot. Enjoy! 







Comments

  1. Thanks for the recipe this is the one I'm looking for as authentic Ilonggo Arroz valenciana as it could be....thanks again inday.

    -belgin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Belgin,

    Hope you like my recipe.
    Happy cooking and enjoy eating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother who passed away several decades ago had the same recipe but instead of turmeric she used star margarine to give the rice it's yellowish color . Today when cooking Arroz, I opted to follow her recipe and I am satisfied with the result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for how many persons is this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me,according to my observation when my grandfather cooked arroz Valencia i was behind him actually it's a very easy to cooked even though more than just ingredients, then you justified on your own way to make it..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, I got the taste I'm looking for and happy indeed the whole family liked it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. being an Ilonggo myself (having a sweet tooth) I missed this dish a lot. My mother's way of cooking this is adding Evaporated milk to make it more creamier and pineapple juice (with crushed pineapple bits) to make it sweeter. She will add this late in cooking when she's just waiting for the rice to get fully cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pineapple in Valencia sounds really good. I must try that next time. Thanks Ken for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saved as a favorite, I love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My friends and family enjoy my valenciana.I cooked the malagkit rice para sure ako na lutong luto na sya.and the way you cook it.also the same as mine. I use also turmeric powderpara mabango sya at masarap..mine is simple lang.hindi ko nilalagyan ng potatos at carrots. I also garnished it with eggs, raisins, green peas, and bell pepper.sometimes If I have cheese I used cheese as toppings as i
    serve.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE!

Popular Posts