Flores de Mayo, Iloilo City

During my last Philippines visit I got to experience Flores de Mayo celebration, Ilonggo style.

While doing some shopping I witness the Santa Cruzan held in SM City, Iloilo City.
Flores de Mayo (Wikipedia) is a Catholic festival held in the Philippines in the month of May. It lasts for a month, and is held in honor of the Virgin Mary. The Santa Cruzan is a parade held on the last day of Flores de Mayo in honor of Reyna Elena.

It is a whole month of celebration where children bring flowers and adults lead prayers every afternoon in honor of the Virgin Mary in the village chapel.
It is a tradition in my village where a family household is assigned everyday to feed everyone who attends this celebration.
May 4th was my day. We hired a local cook to help us get started. Imagine if it's me mixing that big (biggest) wok of Pancit Bihon (stir fry rice noodles).


Now that the Pancit Bihon is done, time to wrap it for easy distribution.


We ordered homemade ice cream too for everyone. Imagine how many kids from the village came and attended the celebration? A lot!

We scooped the ice cream in little cups served with little wooden spoon.

This is me, with baskets filled with sandwiches and pancit bihon all ready for distribution.
At the end of the afternoon we were so tired after the preparation and feeding all those kids and adults but worth it. Imagine the smile on everyone's face. Priceless!


Oh yeah, I forgot to mention... May 4th was my birthday.

My nieces got me total of 3 small cakes and we all got to share it with ice cold Coke. Best birthday celebration ever. A memorable birthday that money can't buy.

No comments: